Homepage Email Gearhead What else does gearhead say Gearhead's RSS feed
Your Ad Here

Dec 17, 2007

Narain Karthikeyan wins A1 GP China

This has to rate as one of the most proud moments for Indian motorsports. Narain Karthikeyan won an international race, racing for the country. On saturday I read an article in the papers saying “Fast in practice Slow in race” or something like that. It said something like how team India was showing good pace in practice and not in the actual races. Then on Sunday it said P3 for Narain in qualifying. I turned a few pages to find out when the race will be on and it said 1900 hrs. “so long?” I thought to myself. Then while having lunch I see a news flash saying Narain Karthikeyan wins the A1 GP in China, and I just couldn’t wait any longer. Even though I knew the result, watching the race was still a lot of fun.

The proudest moment was hearing the national anthem with Narain on the top step. Now what are the chances of that happening in Mainland China? Take that Chairman Mao. There were other moments worth remembering too, like Yohan Setna crying in the interview right after the race and Narain running like a kid to climb the podium, spraying champagne, I almost had tears in my eyes.

No comments: